Menu

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 1 - Asheville to Atlanta to Guatemala

The day is finally here. And I feel a loss for words on how describe this day. I've been solely focused on what I needed to get done to prepare for this week lately without being able to think about the emotional aspect of this week. Today just seems so surreal. 
Our flights went well as Karin, Lauren, and myself were together and Lee's flight 30 minutes behind ours. As we approached Guatemala for the first time in 6 years, I thought about aIl the joy and sadness that has occurred in our lives since the last time I was here. All I could pray is that I am so so sorry Gabby.

Edwin was there to pick us up and then we were off to the Orphanage (Hogar) is San Lucas. You can never get use to the craziness of the drivers and its hard not to laugh while praying through it all. Surprisingly, the hogar is in the middle of the town of San Lucas in between a house and a restaurant. Seeing the kids leading up to the Hogar made me realize how much sadness is happening all around us. When we arrived in front of the Hogar we had to be buzzed in through the gate. None of us will ever forget the sight of of what we saw as we drove through. Children everywhere playing and waiving smiling. It was like driving through the gates of Heaven.

We spend the rest of the evening getting to know the kids, the nannies, and Lilly and Tamara who run the orphanage. Hearing the stories while looking into their loving eyes was truly not comprehensible. I just can reconcile it all in my head. Skyped with Shane and Tucker and was good to share this with them.  We ordered from Chicken from Pollo Comparo (KFC Guat Style) and Shane's favorite!  And the nannies made bean and rice to go with it!  Wish so much Shane and Tucker  were here and I know they wish they were also.
 
Lauren eating Pollo Campero!




The sweet Nannies

Eating Dinner with the Nannies


Karin with Claudia and Baby Maria Belen

Jessie, Maria Belen and Claudia

Lee with Oscar

Oscar

Me with Maria Belen

Lilly with sleeping Antonio

Sweet Little Maria Belen






Funny Moments (know they might not make sense to many....but didn't want to forget):
  • Did you know Guatemala is higher in elevation than Denver?
  • Lauren's last meal...McDonald's and cheese tray
  • Donation?  No, just crayons
  • Falling asleep to Guatemalan Elvis music
My Gabby Moments:
  • Seeing a church sign on the way to San Lucas that had Gabby's one of Gabby's bible verse (Matthew 28:19)
  • Sign in the town of San Lucus with the name Jenifer in large letters.
  • Hearing Edwin say "Funerals are not as sad here as in the US."
  • But I think my favorite moments of all were listening to Lilly.  Hearing her story, the children's stories, seeing and knowing that each day you can make a difference in this world to make someone's life easier, and more importantly, you can show your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment