Menu

Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 2 in San Lucas Guatemala

Today we spend most of the time at the Hogar. I look at the kids, and think about all they've been through already. Some abandon, some left in garbage, some who have been abused or neglected so badly I can't even describe on here. But was soon as you cross over from the streets of San Lucas into the Hogar, it's like you crossed through a vail from the broken world into a world of love. These nannies work so hard. It is non stop laundry (by hand), meals, diapers, cleaning, etc.
 
While many of these children will never know a "real" home in the traditional sense I think we all hope and pray they can stay here at El Amor de Patricia. I think about what has been taken away....from them and from me. I see their resilience and I see their need to be loved and to love.

All the older kids know of Gabby as her picture hangs on the mantle. I am thankful these ladies want these kids to know her. When they see her picture they say "Gabby." And they will get to know of her and remember about her all their lives. I know she is watching over these little ones.


We started started tracing Gabby's flower on the baby's bedroom. The flower she drew in art class just 2 weeks before the accident.



We also ventured out a little today. We went to the grocery store and the bank which was an experience within itself! We also went to the restaurant next door. I will have to write down name...I can't remember but it was wonderful.
But my favorite moment of all was the kids with the Gabby bracelets....ripping them off your arms when they see the on your wrist. I brought toddler ones for the kids and they couldn't get enough of them. Little Albertina and David especially wanted more and more! When I skyped with Shane and Tucker, Shane showed her his Gabby bracelets and Albertina would pretend to grab them on the iPod and place them in her baggy of bracelets. It was so sweet! Then when Tucker got on Skype, Alberina and Claudia yelling "Tucker...Tucker"
 



 

















Funny moments:

  • Buying a plunger along with my diet coke and water at the grocery store.
  • Karin riding in the trunk of Edwin's car.
  • It's gracias not Gracious
 


Gabby moments:
  • Saw two thistle seed blowing in the yard of the orphanage.
  • The Gabby Bracelets!!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment